Wednesday 10 June 2009

An Attitude of Gratitude

One of my dearest online friends talks about feeling like they are sitting at the centre of a perfect storm  and this got me cogitating, as these things often do.  He is right, Fujific that is.  Storm clouds have gathered and violent and high waves are sweeping away and around and stirring up so much we have perhaps taken for granted.  

At times like this I look closely at what I am and what I have in my hand and that is how I begin each day.    

This time last year my mother was about to be admitted for removal of 2/3rds of her stomach as in the course of testing for something else entirely they had discovered stomach cancer.   Her journey was an horrendous one leading to 4 operations in 6 weeks and many close moments on the very edge of death.  I got to the point where the coffee making take away outlets at the hospital were giving me staff discounts as I was there so much, haunting their corridors and wards.  I sat with her, and beside her and walked this journey in every way as I could.  And I am grateful.  A year later she is back, at 82 living independently in the house I grew up in maintaining her weight and still very much with us.  I am grateful for each and every day I share with this remarkable woman!!

The experience with mum brought to the fore the strengths and wonderful caring found nestled in my grown children.  Tess ( mother of MsLizzie and the delightful Abigail - who was born just a few months ago!!) takes mum to the hair dressers every week and drives her shopping.   Amy and I as well as my cousin Anne, take turns accompanying Mum on her many visits to medical tea,ms for checkups and monitoring.  Mum has just completed her first serious round of testing and has the cancer all clear!! One year down.  Her oncologist whispered how delighted he was and  how he wanted a family like hers when he is older.  That delighted her.   And delighted me.

This time last year I was still working my way through the family court to secure Geni's living agreement with me as Dopey didn't seem to see a need  to "change" the way things were; namely I did the work and paid for everything while he was listed as having care and control.  needless to say, the magistrate likewise agreed that the family orders should reflect the true status and so Geni is now living full time in my care and it is a successful arrangement.  

There is the addition of Abigail to our Zoo/tribe and there is Pandy not being as obnoxious.   

I have a paid job that is flexible to allow me to care for my family when I need to, and it challenging and a situation where there is something I may learn every day.  I largely have my health.  My Fitness challenge is going well and I am enjoying pushing my body each and every morning.  

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your mum's all clear. How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, you had a handful of issues this past year... and it's good to read that things are looking up. We can't predict the future and can only handle things as they come. {hugs}

    ReplyDelete