Monday 6 April 2009

Economy, personal penny pinching

As I raised the majority of my children as a single working mum with no money coming from missing dad, I have ALWAYS been conscious of pennies and being careful. My grandmother always said "Take care of the pennies and the pounds take care of themselves." Something we should all think about.

Geni is always asking me for new clothing, more money,, new this that and the other. In packing to move house, Geni emptied her wardrobe of perfectly servicable and fashionable clothing she no longer desired to wear. The first thought that went through my mind is that it is time for Geni to get an after school/weekend job so that she can fund her own fashion addiction. Onto my Action List goes drafting her first resume and printing several copies.

When I buy clothing I tend to shop around and watch the sales. I buy classics and each season pick accents ( a handful) that provide a fashion "flavour". I do not feel the compunction to have my hair done, or buy new shoes and a complete outfit each time I go out somewhere....

Also after living in India, I was impressed with the lack of waste there. Water is precious and I am almost dictatorial about NOT wasting this. At home, or at work - no matter. I firmly believe that which you may waste you will one day want.

I know when the fresh foods are marked down at the supermarket and often snaffle exceptional savings of good quality meat and fresh produce. We are about to institute a meal planning regime, where we plan a week - or two, and market accordingly. This will assist with nutrition, health and diet as well and really help the bank balance!!

When Geni first came to reside with us full time, she would ONLY ask and I would hand dollars over. She had an enviable social life, with no responsibility. Initially, because of where she had come from, I was delighted to be able to spoil her but then I realised she needed to learn about budgetting for what she wants, the basic savings concepts and decision making. So I made her an offer of $25 per week which she grabbed. Occasionally I will give a little extra at weekends, but largely she needs to buy her own phone credit and fund her own social life from that.

Some of the difficulties I have had with Tony is his idea I am TOO soft with Geni. I am what I am and have raised a batch of children already. I am employing the lessons I learned first time around to ease things. I can be tough when pushed but I am in no ways dictatorial. Geni is currently grounded for rearranging her plans at the 11th hour ( again!!) and disrupting everyone's lives with NO thought for anyone else. She has been grounded two weeks for this. In that two week period ( still not quite over) she has already asked 6 times for exceptions - none of which she has been granted! Just because I don;lt ruffle her feathers or get her back up does not in any ways mean I am not tough.

I am.
Trust me on that.

Pure steel wrapped in velvet and with a sweet smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment