Saturday 25 April 2009

How to Make KIndness Your New Routine

I am committing myself to living a more compassionate life and I have found it is as tough as sticking to a new fitness routine.  The same strategies apply as well.  These basic lessons have risen to the surface in me again as I am living consciously more in each and every moment.   This decision of mine came when I asked myself what I thought people might say about me if I suddenly died, right now.  The next thing I asked myself was what I would genuinely LIKE people to say about me.  And this led me to ask myself what steps I need to take to become more of that ind of person.

Can you tell I am committed to continuous improvement?
  1. START SMALL.   It could be as simple as striking up a conversation in a friendly way with someone who looks lonely or lost in a banking queue or a supermarket.   Being aware of the nuances of feeling in the people we work with and around on a daily basis also provides opportunities.    I endeavour to listen not only to what people say, but also to what they don't say.  Sometimes, I have found, just asking if they are okay makes all the difference in the world.  
  2. CHOOSE AN ACTIVITY YOU ENJOY.  I thought about what I like o do in my spare time and I went from there.  Even those who LOVE to shop could volunteer for a service like Dress for Success which provides career clothing or counselling to women in need, or if you like chatting on the phone, the Red Cross provide a service where you would telephone each day an elderly person who lives alone JUST to make sure they answer and are still okay.  For some of these elderly, this is the only social contact they have, and should your assigned person not answer there are people to contact who will pop around and check on them.  I know each time I read about an elderly person found dead after an extended time, my heart just breaks.    If you want some good ideas try volunteermatch.org or idealist.org or networkforgood.org.
  3. BE SPECIFIC.  Instead of saying to yourself, "I want to help children" say ( for example) "I want to read to children once a week".  How many primary schools need teacher's aide assistance with the slow learners?  Or organisaqtions like Big Brothers and Sisters who take disadvantaged children for outings or a weekend once a month to give parents a break?  This will help you figure out what you yourself can contribute.
  4. BUDDY UP.   Invite a friend to join you -it is always more fun!! Shared.  You also get the benefit of motivating each other.
  5. PUT IT ON YOUR CALENDAR.  Schedule it.  Even if the activity you chose isn;t a regularly scheduled volunteer gig you can still pencil it in.
The five steps outlined and bolded work for any routine you choose to undertake.  

What do you need to work on?
What would you like to do?

2 comments:

  1. Excellent motivational ideas. Good for you. I think we can all use some improvement in our lives. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lessons we can all learn from. THank you for sharing them *hugs*

    ReplyDelete