Wednesday 13 May 2009

Mothers Day, albeit late

The number of mothers in my direct family is increasing rapidly.  I suppose that will happen when one gives birth to 2 sons and 5 daughters.  On top of that, we still have my own Mother (affectionately known to all as G-G), so it was quite the celebration.  But I have already outlined the Family Zoo celebration and delight.  For me this is about Motherhood and my personal gratitude to still have around me and in my life, my own Mother and to here acknowledge what she has helped me to see and be.

My mother is my very best friend.  There is nothing I cannot say to her or offload onto her.  She listens and certainly doesn;t always agree but lets me bounce my thoughts and more importantly, my feelings off her.   If she could physically help me she also would but those days are gone.  I well remember 15 to 20 years ago when I was a very young mother juggling many young children and two jobs and study when Mum would turn p to visit after catching two buses and walking a fair ways with her cleaning clothes in her bag!!  Touchy me, in those days - I felt it was a criticism about how I kept my home.  But the simple truth was she JUST wanted to help in any way she could because she saw what load I was carrying.

Truly I can state that it is easy for me to love because my mother has lived love for me.    I was not always wise enough to see what she did or what she was or even what she was teaching me, but in retrospect I am grateful for every lesson she lived and for being who she is. 

3 comments:

  1. Of course this was the best post I have read in a long long time Maggs.

    Your mother is your advocate.

    Lovely post. Simply lovely.

    Love,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's so important to be friends with your mother, not just the daughter. My daughter and I have been becoming friends more lately.

    Yet neither of my kids even gave me a call on mother's day :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bobby, my mother is a living treasure and I am grateful for every single second with her. Willow, I am so sorry they didn;t call. One day they will regret that. Kids can be thoughtless.

    ReplyDelete