Thursday 21 May 2009

Storms and angry weather

I live at the very end of a valley where noone lives except a creek and the tributory of a large river.    I also find it delightful to wake to the sounds of parrots and cockatoos and the raucous laughing of kookaburras who seem to think my backyard is their personal hunting ground.   Right now a chorus of lovesick frogs serenade the momentary cessation of the wild wind and bucketting storm.  

The weather was so angry that I woke many times through the night as whole rivers cascaded down the gutters and spilled like a dam overflow down the walls.  Inside we are safe and dry, but outside the elements are showing us that man dreams if he believes he can tame this.

I love it.  I glory in this violence and the sensations that come with it.  Even though I battle to maintain my precarious health, I adore each and every moment here listening to this.  The very wildness strikes a chord deep within me and I rejoice in some primal way.

Good morning all - as my friday begins.

Tonight I plan to take in the new Star Trek movie as Geni is with her dad and I believe it is time to take some time.  Tomorrow night it is dinner and dancing at a latin club in the city with my grown up girls.  They love to dance and share this with me, so watch out Sydney, we are out and about!!!  Sunday we have a soccer game just before lunchtime but I doubt this will go ahead with the weather as it is - in fact, if this continues I can see it being rained out with the grounds closed.  

Time for my shower and to get myself all gussied up for work.  Have a wonderful day all of you.  I know my American, Canadian  and European friends have summer in their care and I am glad they ae making the most of it and caretaking for me.  But I find beauty in this dark loud and almost-angry world we inhabit down here now.  Today I am alive and breathing and I delight in this and the possibilities which lie before me.

8 comments:

  1. I love your first paragraph. I wish I were there with you! Please don't keep winter too long! I will miss it.
    Sounds like you are going to have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece of writing Maggs - go primal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up in Trinidad, we had macaws, and red howler monkeys. We had the storms and the water and nature's shaking; the sounds of surf crashing on rugged rocks and then the easy, smooth transition to tropical breezes through a canopy of coconut trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're making the most of every moment. Good for you. I so wish I could be there to join you Saturday night for dinner and dancing. Enjoy! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. from the pictures you have shown and the descriptions you have written, it sounds like a love place to live.
    Don't get washed away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Star Trek is supposed to be awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Star Trek Is Awesome! Woot!! :oD

    I love reading the bits and pieces of your life you share with us. Thanks *smiling*

    Have a splendiferous weekend- Gina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hop eyou had a wonderful, wonderful weekend. I emailed you a little earlier-

    *big hugs* xxx

    ReplyDelete