Wednesday 18 March 2009

Shaky Global Economy comes home to me

Tony and I moved the Sydney ( northern suburbs) when Dopey offered us Geni exactly one year ago. As we were not sure how this would go, we rented and fairly swiftly found a place and moved in and discussion with the landlord were around a long lease - the first one being for one year.

This is one of two investment properties for them. Last Friday I received a scanned unsigned letter via emil informing me they are selling, the place being put on the market immediately.

Some notable points here; I am still on my lease. They need to give me sufficient notice.

Yesterday I received a call from the selling agent asking if I wold make the place available at 10am today for a photographer. I suggested that was not sufficient notice and the agent got a little huffy. She also informed me open house /viewings wold be at 10am each Saturday.

I dislike the short notice but I was not staying anyways and had my eye on a few places the first of which I saw after work yesterday. Mental note to self: if a place looks too good to e true on paper, there is usually a reason. The dollars were affordable, the surrounding area was suitable and the place was a musty damp ridden shoebox. I walked in, around once and walked out. I have another two places to see Saturday.

I love moving!!!

12 comments:

  1. This is an unfortunate part of the business. I made the transition from the old owner to us very seamless.

    I didn't kick anyone out and kept all the rents the same. I only have one original tenant and have improved each property as it has vacated and improved my rents.

    I also rent month to month. I don't raise rates while you are in but I don't want to fight about a long term contract if the arrangement doesn't work out for the tenant or me.

    I am the handyman so I'm around fairly often.

    Hope you find something nice. This is just a sign of the times...

    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should find some good deals, the economy being what it is. Hope you find something great.

    Over here, long term contracts are standard. I had a 5 year one that extends automatically if not canceled... and I've been here 8 years now. AND, you must give 3 month notice. If you want to move sooner, you must provide a new tenant that meets the owners approval.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking for a new place to live can be fun, or it can be aggravation. I hope you find something to suit your liking. They aren't giving you much notice, are they. Not nice! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate moving too. They will have to carry me out of the Cesspit in a box!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All that seems very unfair.
    I hope you find a new perfect place to your liking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS: Did you package arrive via air or water, do you know? Just curious. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know property prices are coming down but rents aren't
    Hope you find a gem
    I don't mind moving I suppose got good at it now :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. did you here that? F-B said she'd come help you move!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Come on down guys - You can all help. I am absolutely delighted to move because I don't mind change, and well - it seems change is my theme for this year. So I have seen two places that don;t meet the standard I appreciate. I have three more places lined up for Saturday and have the feelers out for 8 otehr possibilities. I am certain the right place will turn up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck on your search! I'm sure the right place will turn up, with a little patience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually, the can sell the house but they legally can't ask you to move before your lease is up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They haven't asked me to leave however with the changes in my personal situation I feel moving is the right thing. For me. Financially and emotionally. Plus there is the disruption of people "inspecting" and me having to be gone at least once a week. Okay if it is just me, but if the girls are here.....can be not fair on them.

    ReplyDelete