Sunday 22 March 2009

Soccer Sense

Geni is playing soccer with a group wherein some of the girls have been playing since they were 5 or 6 years old. One of her friends is a rep player, and it is that father who is coaching while I handle the communication, the paperwork and well - whatever. I have had immense fun with the training ( both in attending and organising) and at the game yesterday ( despite the sunburn.). Mum telephoned smack in the middle and she said she could hear the joy in my voice.

It delights me to be able to provide this opportunity an support this for Geni, and to see her with her group of friends involved in a team sport and doing so well delights me. I offered to do some ball drills with her in the oval across the road from home and she laughed at me. Apparently I am old so therefore.... ( boy oh boy does she have a thing or two to learn!!!!).

The more experienced girls have what I could only refer to as a soccer sense or game sense. How am I able to help geni develop that?

2 comments:

  1. Probably just letting her hang out with her soccer friends will bring that out in her more, as she develops her own soccer sense. Does that make sense? (Non-soccer sense, that is) lol. So glad you're enjoying this so much. Yay, Maggie! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me very happy to read that you are not only staying active through your recent challenges, but that you are enjoying yourself as well!

    As far as developing "soccer sense"... I've never coached anything, and I've only played soccer on rare occasions. But I know exactly what you are talking about. My friend's daughter also plays soccer, and she lacks this ability as well. She gets so focused on the ball that she loses sight of what is going on around her (or where she is on the field). She needs to learn how to use her peripheral vision, and how to keep track of where she is in relation to both goals at all times.

    Maybe you can watch some recordings of professional soccer games and point out how they are passing/setting each other up? Or maybe focus on the defensive players, and how they change position relative to the moving ball and the stationary goal? I'm sure there is some kind of practice exercise that teaches these abilities, but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe search the Internet?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete